How To Clean Sex Toys: Vibrators, Dildos, and Harnesses
It’s no secret that lesbians and sex toys are a match made in heaven, especially when they are designed by and for the LGBTQ+ Community. You never want to get caught with your pants down without a clean strap-on nearby. Dildos especially, but even vibrators and harnesses (and whatever else you are using) need a “shower” after playtime.
If left unwashed between uses with your partner(s), sex toys can become a petri dish for infection-causing viruses, bacteria, and fungi. No one likes UTIs or yeast infections, right?
But do you really need to clean sex toys after every use? You bet. At Wet for Her, we believe that education is empowerment, so here, we offer some cleaning tips that will prolong the lifespan of your devices and keep you healthy. We think that’s sexy.
Sex Toy Cleaning 101: What Are Your Toys Made Of?
Cleaning your sex toys is simple. We recommended investing in a natural foam sex toy cleaner that is free of harsh chemicals and phthalates.
Those made with nonporous materials like medical grade silicone, stainless steel, glass, Pyrex, or acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic are a breeze to clean. Non-porous materials are less likely to collect bacterial organisms, and any that do accumulate on the surface are easily washed away with warm water and soap.
Sex toys made of porous materials are trickier to keep clean, which is why experts discourage them. Those tiny holes act like sponges and absorb all kinds of pathogens during sex play. Vinyl, leather, jelly rubber, latex, PVC and “silicone blends” are some examples of porous materials.
For these items, apply soap or a foam sex toy cleaner directly to the toy and scrub with a damp cloth and warm water. Pay special attention to removing any debris from crevices and grooves, then rinse, pat with a lint-free towel and air dry.
Waterproof Sex Toys
Is your dildo or vibrator waterproof? Many are, so be sure to check and remove batteries before cleaning. Be careful not to submerge electrical components.
How to Clean a Vibrator
Surface cleaning vibrators made of 100% pure silicone or other non-porous materials is pretty simple when you follow these steps:
- Clean with a washcloth, warm water and a gentle, fragrance-free soap or sex toy cleaner
- Rinse with cool water, wipe down with a paper towel and allow to air dry
- For a deep-clean of non-motorized silicone vibrators, place them on the sanitize cycle of your dishwasher (without soap) after a good surface-cleaning
- Damp vibrators can grow mold. Ensure your toy is dry before storing
- Store in a dry, clean environment away from dust and pet dander
How to Clean a Dildo
Dildos can be surface cleaned with:
- Warm water and a mild soap. Avoid alcohol-based cleaners or heavily scented anti-bacterial soaps
- For a deeper clean, submerge the dildo in boiling water for three minutes
- Place on a clean wash cloth or paper towel and air dry until all water has evaporated
- Store in a silk or lint-free fabric bag, away from direct sunlight and areas of humidity
How to Clean a Harness
Most harnesses are made of nylon, neoprene or leather.
- Nylon harnesses can be placed in the washing machine on a warm water setting with mild detergent
- Neoprene harnesses should be soaked in warm soapy water for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap and let air dry
- Spot clean leather harnesses with a soapy washcloth, getting all the nooks and crannies, and hang up to air dry
Place your clean harness in a designated box or garment bag once completely dry for safe storage
Sex Toy Cleaners at Wet for Her
When cleaning your sex toys be mindful of products containing chemicals, dyes, and fragrances. Even in trace amounts these additives can cause irritation and disrupt a person’s pH balance
We recommend using foaming toy cleaners that are free of parabens, alcohol, sulfates and other irritants. Made with plant-derived extracts, these formulas are designed to clean silicone, plastic, stainless steel, and glass toys.
While you’re browsing, take a look at our incredible lube and other accessories to enhance your lovemaking pleasure. Wet For Her is 100% LGBTIQ+ owned and operated.