Celebrating Bisexual Awareness Week: Embracing Diversity, Visibility, and Pleasure
Bisexual Awareness Week (Sept 16-23) is not just a time to acknowledge, but to actively celebrate and elevate the voices of our bisexual siblings within the LGBTQIA+ community. At Wet for Her, we stand firmly in support of all expressions of love and desire, and this week, we're diving deep into honoring and amplifying the experiences of bisexual individuals. Join us as we explore ways to celebrate, raise visibility, and provide resources for bisexual folks while keeping the conversation grounded, inclusive, and radical in its own right.
1. Celebrate Bisexuality in All Its Forms: Bisexuality is not a one-size-fits-all label; it's a rich tapestry of attractions, experiences, and identities. Celebrate this diversity by sharing stories and experiences from bisexual individuals who have navigated their unique journeys. Highlight the beauty of fluidity and attraction that knows no boundaries.
2. Artistic Expression and Visibility: Art has always been a powerful tool for self-expression and raising awareness. Encourage bisexual artists, writers, and creators to share their work during this week. Art can convey complex emotions and experiences, creating a profound impact on the audience.
3. Challenging Stereotypes: Bisexual Awareness Week is an ideal time to challenge harmful stereotypes that persist. Bust the myths and misconceptions surrounding bisexuality by sharing informative content that addresses these misconceptions head-on.
4. Supportive Resources for Bisexual Individuals: Offer a list of resources, both local and national, that provide support, information, and community for bisexual individuals. This could include LGBTQIA+ centers, helplines, and online forums.
5. Books and Literature: Recommend books and literature that explore bisexuality. Whether it's memoirs, fiction, or academic texts, literature is a valuable resource for understanding and celebrating this diverse orientation.
6. Intersectionality and Inclusivity: Highlight the importance of intersectionality within the bisexual community. Recognize that individuals may identify as bisexual while also being a part of other marginalized groups. Share resources and stories that reflect this intersectional reality.
7. Safe Spaces and Communities: Promote and celebrate safe spaces and LGBTQIA+ communities that actively welcome and support bisexual individuals. These spaces are essential for fostering a sense of belonging and connection.
8. Sexual Empowerment: Emphasize the importance of sexual empowerment for bisexual individuals. Share articles, guides, and products that promote sexual health and pleasure, ensuring that this aspect of their lives is celebrated and validated.
Bisexual Awareness Week is a time to honor the rich diversity within our LGBTQIA+ family. At Wet for Her, we stand in solidarity with our bisexual siblings and encourage everyone to actively participate in celebrating, raising visibility, and providing support. Let's continue to break down barriers, challenge stereotypes, and create a world where everyone's unique journey is recognized, respected, and celebrated.
About the author:
Victory (they/them) is a Latine trans non-binary content creator, artist, social media advisor, and community healer. With several years of experience as a mentor and advocate for the queer community, Victory boasts a passion for sexual wellness, trauma-informed healing, social justice issues, and intersectional advocacy for the LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC community. In their spare time, Victory enjoys spending time outside in nature, DJ'ing, creating art, playing video games, and playing with hula hoops and fire. You can find and support their community work, art, and business at @flowingfrequency on Instagram and TikTok